Hen with Funny Walk

Treegod

Songster
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Catalonia, Spain
I have bought a hen recently and she was fine when she came, except for having a bald back from being over-mounted.

Then she started to develop a funny walk, like her hips don't support her properly. Her legs look weak and her body isn't held horizontally. Anyone help with ideas as to what sort of problems she might have?

She's not got any worse, but she hasn't got any better. I've put her on her own so she doesn't get mounted (her feathers are recovering now).

Oh, the poor dear. I hope someone here knows something about this. I would recommend to give her a vitamin supplement in case it has anything to do with nutrition. Plus, if she continues to walk funny you may have to keep her separated. Often chickens will attack another with a limp or a bad walk. I have a house chicken who was born with some deformities that prevent her from walking well. I got her from a lady whose flock severely attacked her. I introduced her very slowly to my flock after she spent some time near, but not in, the coop. They were all much younger pullets and she was older and they still attacked her. She's now a house chicken that hangs out with me at my desk and everywhere else I am when I'm home. If you can help her to walk better that would possibly save her a lot of hassle with the rest of your chickens later.

Thanks. It makes sense, since I got this hen (and two others, a hen and a rooster, all Empordanesas) I've only fed them one cereal. Whereas the rest of my flock, that I keep separate, get compost too.

Perhaps the other two she's with overcompete with her over the food and she doesn't get enough.

She certainly seems a lot better, and this morning I put her outside so she could get a bit of compost.

I'll try to vary the diet.

Back
Top Bottom