Hen with injured foot...need some assistance please.

Lndrsn78

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2021
FIRST POST 7/20/21

Hello!
New Member Laura

I have one of my girls that has had a broken foot that we hopefully healed over the past 6 weeks. Reintroducing her has not been successful with my other 5 hens. We notice an odd darkening on the previously injured foot but at first glanced looked dirty. This was Sunday. Now today looking at it and cleaning it, we are finding the scales exposed and raw and a little bloody. This is very new to me so I was going to do an Epsom salt soak, treat it with antiseptic and wrap it. Is this the correct process for something like this? (I received a response to apply antiseptic and ointment and let it air out. We have been following this process up until 2 or so days ago when we saw it forming a scab. Didn't want to soften the scab)
7/20/21 She had a 20min soak and I sprayed some Vetericyn on it. It's the only thing my local pet store carried. I can go to IFA, Dallas Green, or Cal Ranch tomorrow for something else tomorrow. I'm keeping her in a crate tonight and probably tomorrow to watch it. Other than soaking it, what else can I use to clean it without irritated it...and her

7/27/21
Now on day 7...final got it to start scabbing, come home to find it has came off. Now I have to start over. Any suggestions? Keeping her in a crate all day while at work seems counterproductive since it's covered in poop when we get home. I only received one response on ky last post...really looking for some direction and advice please. Hell, even some support that we are doing what need to and just be patient and ride it out.
Thanks 😊 The 3rd pic is from today.
20210720_204333.jpg
20210720_204340.jpg
20210727_172740.jpg

Welcome To BYC
Are you sure the foot is broken?

Looks like she scuffed the front of her foot.
I would clean it, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the foot until it heals. Keep her on dry bedding or if she's with the flock, then clean it daily and re-apply ointment.
You can find triple antibiotic (like original Neosporin or store brand) at Walmart, dollar stores, etc.

Here's your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injured-foot-need-assistance-on-care.1483323/

Welcome To BYC
Are you sure the foot is broken?

Looks like she scuffed the front of her foot.
I would clean it, then apply triple antibiotic ointment to the foot until it heals. Keep her on dry bedding or if she's with the flock, then clean it daily and re-apply ointment.
You can find triple antibiotic (like original Neosporin or store brand) at Walmart, dollar stores, etc.

Here's your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/injured-foot-need-assistance-on-care.1483323/
It was broken...had it splinted for 6 weeks. This happened literally the next day after we remove her splint and wrap. She's enjoyed being in the house at night so I'm thinking it was self-inflicted so she gets more pampering lol. Thank you so much for your insight and advice! We'll keep doctoring her up. 😉

Back
Top Bottom