hen with leaking chest wound

Actappalled

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
Hello I was wondering if anybody can give me any insight in what I might be dealing with. I have a six month old hen who seem to of had issues with her crop it was big and squishy (about 4-5 days. I gave her apple cider vinegar diluted in water) and then I noticed today she started to vomit clear fluid in which I tried to pick her up and massage the crop area and discovered that there is an inch size diameter hole in her chest area where the liquid is also coming out of.
At the moment she stays in a large cage right outside the coop containing the older chickens and one rooster. I do allow all birds out to free range for about 5 hours a day but the separate hen always keeps to herself under our porch. Eating and drinking was fine until literally today when I noticed she hardly touched her crumbles. If anyone has any ideas of what I could be dealing with please let me know I am also trying to get her to see a vet tomorrow.

Just based on the limited information here, it sounds like she has/had a crop issue causing her crop to not empty, possibly becoming pendulous, and then it became injured, maybe caught on something, and tore. So you likely have two problems, the first being whatever issue originally caused the crop to not empty, and now an open wound in the crop allowing the contents to leak. The injury will need to be surgically repaired, there are two layers, the crop and the skin over it. As long as the crop is open and leaking she will not be able to digest properly and will slowly starve/dehydrate. It also will lead to infection. Hopefully the vet can help diagnose what could be causing the crop to not empty and be full of fluid, the causes of that can vary. These articles may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom