HEN WITH LOST FEATHERS...

djcram

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
One of my hens is/has been losing feathers particularly on her back, but have noticed some on her wings and neck. I have tried to upload pics but it would not let me.... We have thought about getting her a saddle, but why are none of the other hens having this issue. She has been this way for a while but now that its winter I am worried she will get cold/sick. I would love to get more hens but we have one coop and it says to keep new ones separate for a while.... we have 3 hens to 1 rooster. I know we should have at least 5 to 8 hens.

Thank you for any words of hope for my girl. they are spoiled! When we let them free range they come to the back door and knock for us to throw them some bread or crackers....or chips. I wish I could post a pic....will keep trying

One of my hens is/has been losing feathers particularly on her back, but have noticed some on her wings and neck. I have tried to upload pics but it would not let me.... We have thought about getting her a saddle, but why are none of the other hens having this issue. She has been this way for a while but now that its winter I am worried she will get cold/sick. I would love to get more hens but we have one coop and it says to keep new ones separate for a while.... we have 3 hens to 1 rooster. I know we should have at least 5 to 8 hens.

Thank you for any words of hope for my girl. they are spoiled! When we let them free range they come to the back door and knock for us to throw them some bread or crackers....or chips. I wish I could post a pic....will keep trying
Is she acting lethargic at all or out of the ordinary? You said her back but do you mean saddle feathers? She might be being overbred by your roo or she might just be molting. Check the feather shafts to make sure new growth is coming in. Provide calcium and protein to encourage feather growth. I feed my birds feather fixer year round instead of layer feed because we've had molting issues. Mainly one starts molting and then everyone picks on her 😞

If you want to upload pictures, click the "Attach files" button on the bottom left of the text box and it will open your device storage and you can select the image file(s) you want to attach. When they finish uploading, click on the Thumbnail or Full image button at the top of the list next to Insert: to insert them in your post.
Having said that, can you please post pictures of your hen and your coop and setup?
How old are your hens and rooster? How much space do they have?
You can also remove the rooster from the flock and pen him separately to give her a break.

Back
Top Bottom