Hen with missing head feathers?

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
One of my buffs seems to be missing head feathers. Yesterday I saw her towards roosting time sitting by herself under one of the coops while the other hens were scratching & eating. I have never seen anyone pecking her, but then I am in the house most of the time. We have a rooster. What could this be? Photo attached.

Attachments

• 0365166F-F246-411E-84FF-998F04028DB7.jpeg
    0365166F-F246-411E-84FF-998F04028DB7.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 14
One of my buffs seems to be missing head feathers. Yesterday I saw her towards roosting time sitting by herself under one of the coops while the other hens were scratching & eating. I have never seen anyone pecking her, but then I am in the house most of the time. We have a rooster. What could this be? Photo attached.
It could be from the rooster holding on while mating her. You'll have to spend some time observing to know if it's from him or if she is being pecked because she is the low one on the totem pole.
Do you have lots of space in your coop and run? How many birds do you have?

It could be from the rooster holding on while mating her. You'll have to spend some time observing to know if it's from him or if she is being pecked because she is the low one on the totem pole.
Do you have lots of space in your coop and run? How many birds do you have?
I have 31 birds. There is plenty of space, the chicken yard is 20 x 30

Sounds good!
How big is the coop?
There are 3 smaller coops and one 8x8 metal shed that serves as an inclement weather coop. The 5 chicks sleep in one, the six pullets in another, 4 older hens in another, and 5 hens in the shed. The rest of the birds, including the Buff in question, and the rooster, roost in a large pine tree.

I have some RSL & they always molt from the top of their head, or just under their head/top of their neck. Seems weird to me, but what do I know. I think they're actually molting all over, it's just more noticeable on their heads. & they have started to molt already this season. Maybe she's molting if it's not the rooster? The pic is a little blurry for me to see to compare.

Or maybe she's getting picked on only on the roost?

Back
Top Bottom