Hen with occasional gasping

Corobinsons

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Boulder, Colorado
I have a 2 year old Buff hen who has started waddling when she walks. We have also noted she has tapes in her feces, which I previously treated for in the fall with praziquantel. Now, she has started laying down and gasping for air on occasion, she also cranes her neck back when doing so - see video. When I pick her up, she also opens her mouth to take breaths (pressure on her abdomen maybe?) Her feathering is good, crop is clear, comb is bright red and she eats and drinks normally, but is a little slower than my other hens.

Bedding is large flake pine in the coop and run is construction sand and dirt. I clean the coop and run every-other-day. They are on Henhouse Reserve with access to oystershells and grit. We are located in Colorado. Is this respiratory, gapeworm, something else? I am at a loss for what to do for my baby girl.

You say she waddles when she walks. Is her abdomen bloated, either very firm, or water balloon like? Do you know when she last laid? Reproductive problems can cause a waddle. Any coughing, sneezing, dishcarge from eyes, nares or beak? How is her crop? Check it first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, it should be empty then. Can you get a fecal float test done? That will look for microscopic parasite eggs. If you know you have tapeworm then you do need to treat for that. Generally with tape worm you only have to treat the birds you know have it. If you suspect gapeworm then you can use Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose is .23ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row.

You say she waddles when she walks. Is her abdomen bloated, either very firm, or water balloon like? Do you know when she last laid? Reproductive problems can cause a waddle. Any coughing, sneezing, dishcarge from eyes, nares or beak? How is her crop? Check it first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks, it should be empty then. Can you get a fecal float test done? That will look for microscopic parasite eggs. If you know you have tapeworm then you do need to treat for that. Generally with tape worm you only have to treat the birds you know have it. If you suspect gapeworm then you can use Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dose is .23ml per pound of bird weight for 5 days in a row.
Thank you for your reply. Her abdomen is firm and warm. I do feel like this is hypertension. She has always been a heavier chicken. If water belly, what are the recommended treatments? I realize it is not curable. Also, is it safe to treat for tapes with this condition?

Yes, buffs can be large. If it's very firm then it could be infection, like salpingitis. Usually they will stop laying with any reproductive issue. If it's more water balloon like then ascites, which can happen with many different ailments, it means the liver is leaking fluid into the abdomen. Some people drain the fluid, it may make her more comfortable for a time, make breathing a bit easier for a time. It does carry some small amount of risk, both of infection from the drain sight and of shock if the fluid is drained to quickly. But many have done it successfully. Video below. If you are going to drain then I would do that first, if she does well with it, then consider worming her.

Back
Top Bottom