Hen with open wound

cuteychickens15

Songster
Aug 7, 2015
We have a hen with an open wound.
This morning when my brother was seeing the chickens, he said that he saw one of the hens with a big cut when her saddle flapped up. We do have a rooster and he likes to jump on her more than the others so it's probably his claws that have done it. We have put her in the chicken run with another hen and I plan on keeping her away from the rooster for the next few weeks until the wound has healed and to stop him doing it again.

What I am worried about though, is that what if she dies ?
Do you think she will ? I didn't really have a look at the wound but i think it was purple underneath. We put some sudocrem on her but I don't think it's going to help her.

Does anyone have any advice ? I checked other threads and they said to use stitches but I can't do that and also someone said that it will keep the infection in.

What do i do ?

Sudocrem is an antiseptic, but you really need to apply an antibiotic.

I would bring the chicken inside and bathe the wound with warm salt water and cotton pads for 10 minutes.
Then wipe the wound again with some Vetericyn for a final cleaning.
Finally, wipe the wound with antibiotic cream like Neosporin (make sure it does NOT have painkillers in it).

Treat the wound once a day until its healed. I think if she is perky and moving freely, then she can go back outside with the others. But if she is acting injured, she should be kept inside in a crate for a day or two.

Keep an eye on the behavior of the other chickens. Make sure they are not pecking at her wound.

Also make certain to keep flies away from the wound.
If they are allowed to lay eggs it won't be a good thing.
sickbyc.gif

She was in the chicken run with another hen on her own while the rooster and the other chickens were outside. I just swapped them around so now she is outside but on her own.

I don't have and haven't heard of Vetericyn or Neosporin before today, are they needed ? I've found them on ebay/amazon if I need them. I will do the warm salty water water treatment with her.

Should she go to bed in the coop with her saddle on ? It hasn't ever been cleaned (she's had it for about 3 months) but what if there might have been any blood from the wound that could have got on it and caused bacteria/infection, if it's going on her back then is that going to do her no good ?
The rooster jumps on them at night sometimes as I lock the door and I don't know.

Yeah, that's a good idea.
But I was thinking of swapping her around (in the coop a few hours, outside a few hours) with the other chickens so she could get some air to the wound. Would it be okay if she was allowed out but with the salty water treatment that jcooper3 mentioned ?

I think it's fine to let her out with the others, just watch their behavior and keep her away from the roo until her would is healed.

Bring her in every day to treat the wound until it is healed. Chickens heal amazingly fast.

Buy Neosporin now, at any pharmacy or grocery store. You can buy the Vetericyn online, but try to get it soon. It is an excellent item to have in your chicken emergency medical kit. At the very least, you need the Neosporin for this wound. I don't think the salty water is enough.

And yes, I think you should wash the saddle on a regular basis, and certainly before you put it on her wounded back. But if you keep her away from the roo until she is healed, she won't need the saddle until she gets put back with him.

I thin that Neosporin is an American brand. I was search UK alternatives (i'm in the UK) and I found one called "Brulidine"

You said that it shouldn't contain any pain killers but i'm not sure if this does or doesn't, somebody left a review lower down saying it helped numb their child's wound so I am a bit confused.

This is the eBay listing:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brulidine...161458?hash=item1c621d24f2:g:~nMAAOSwUuFWzuia

This is the item description:
Cream contains an antispetic( dipropamide isethionate bp 0.15% w/w), which can kill certain types of bacteria and fungi. It is active against pathogenic Streptococcus and Staphylcoccus including penicillin resistant strains. The product is recommended for the effective treatment of cuts, grazes, wounds, burns, scalds, nappy rash and other minor skin infections. It is also of use for the alleviation of rashes affecting the moustache and beard areas, inflammation of the skin, impetigo, outer ear infections, and is active in the presence of pus and blood.

Back
Top Bottom