Hen with poopy-caked butt-lethargic-deformed soft shelled "egg"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EurekaSouth, Apr 15, 2011.

1. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

was half way out of her butt when I got home. I cleaned off the poop, and took the very small, what looked like it might have been a deformed soft shelled egg (about 1 1/2 inch long) the rest of the way out of her anus. She seemed to feel a little better, walked up the ramp to her roost and got up on the roost when she hadn't jumped up there before. DH says she was fine at noon - I wasn't there. She will hopefully be fine tomorrow, but if she's not, does this sound familiar to anyone? Everybody else seems fine. She's not quite a year old. Oh, also, the caked poop wasn't blocking anything, so I hadn't worried about it yet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yep it happens I've not had to pull one out but I've seen them, hopefully it was just a fluke and she'll be fine, make sure they are getting extra calcium like oyster shell separate from their main feed they take what they need. You can also trim the feathers on her bottom to help keep stuff from sticking so bad. Hope she's feeling better today.

3. EurekaSouth

EurekaSouth Out Of The Brooder

She seems just fine today - and so is everyone else. We're good for now - thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by