Hen with problem eggs/chicks

We understand, but they are still treats.
They fill up the crops and keep the bird from eating enough feed. Chickens can't absorb all the nutrients from vegetation the way ruminates can, their digestive systems aren't designed for that. Unless you're a cow or something, steamed veggies ate healthier. :]
I can steam the veggies, but they do love raw fruit and they eat a ton of worms and bugs. Lots of leaves on the ground in the forest and you can see where they have been scratching. I know they are getting their protein. They are healthy, happy and in general a great flock. I thought they would eat more feed too but if I put out more and it's just left untouched all day. Even the mama hen will take her chicks to the feed bowl in the morning then it's off to the forest all day. It's right there near the water and they drink.

Knock those down once or twice a week, it keeps them from getting the proper amount of feed.
It sounds like an incubation issue .
I can limit their treats, although they really don't get that much. I started giving them something because it's when we feed the other animals and they were harassing the cats and trying to get in the back yard to eat the dogs food. They have feed left over every day, they just prefer not to eat that much of it.

I'll try a few of her eggs again at the end of the month when I set more. I do need the thermometer/hydrometer before I get started. If I still have issues with her eggs I'll rehome her to my daughter and get another white silkie. It was heart breaking to lose the first one on hatch day with the mama hen and then again on hatch day in the incubator. Grateful I was able to save two.

Back
Top Bottom