Hen with PTSD?

KirstenRichter

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Tucson
Within the last month 3 out of 4 hens were killed by a bobcat- did I mention I hate bobcats? The remaining hen, Ms. Claus (araucana) has not laid a single egg- I am sure of it. Have you ever heard of a chicken being so shocked or scared that they stop laying ??? Just looking for a little input. Thank you so much.

So sorry for your loss. I have had stressed hens (due to injury, illness) who've stop laying for a time (several weeks). Maybe you can get her a companion?

Best,
Lynn

i totally agree, she needs a friend. Also, i find when dealing with my chickens, and maybe i am naive, but i treat them like you would any other individual, she saw the attack, she heard the sounds- i don't think it is unreasonable that she is grieving or confused- do you spend any extra time with her?

Thank you- I do spend time with her and she has 5 new hen sisters. She melds with them just fine and has adjusted to them very nicely. She seems to be high up in the ranks with them. I am paying special attention to her daily and she comes to me for food and love- never turn her down.

sounds like you are doing great helping her get over the shock- i would continue what you are doing and keep a close eye on her in case of egg binding, i think it would take time to unstress- just my newbie opinion..

One of my poor hens got attacked my dog repeatedly after she kept escaping the coop and now is the most paraniod creature i have ever seen. The attacks were mid summer and she hasn't laid an egg since. but thats just fine by me since she endured so much that she deserves to live out the rest of her life. maybe your older wiser hen could almost be like your rooster? knows what to look out for ie hawks flying overhead and such.

Sounds like its bobcat shooting time ......
smile.png

My mom's hen saw her two friends killed and when she didnt lay an egg that day I wraped her in a plush towel, sat her on my lap outside at dusk and just pet her and what not and the next day she layed two eggs! you feel so bad for the poor things.

Back
Top Bottom