Hen with sores

tstmard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
My daughter noticed this afternoon our 4 year old hen had some blood on the back of her head.

I'm sure it's from our roosters. She doesn't move as fast as she used to so they are able to "catch" her easier.
What should I do about it? I've read about Blue Kote not sure if anyone locally carries it or not I also read recently in Hobby Farms Chicken magazine you can use tree sealer.
I thought this was my biggest concern until my daughter just a few minutes ago came and got me and showed me this

What is the best way to treat this?
Should I also sew up a saddle real quick to put on her as well? I think it'd cover the area this wound is at.
My 13 chickens free range in my large back yard all day do you think isolating her would be necessary as well? I'd hate to do that because she is very much a flock animal. :-( She's my favorite hen that I've had the longest and I just want her better.

I don't have much experience with wounded chickens, but with animals in general I'm pretty experienced. I'd pour some hydrogen peroxide in those wounds and see if you can get some blue kote. You should definitely make her a saddle, and also if you have a big yard and resources see about separating her from the roosters

I went and bought the materials for sewing up a saddle for her tonight which should cover the wound on her side. I also got some Rooster Booster Pick No More to put on the wound and some hydrogen peroxide to clean it out. I can go back tomorrow and get something more if needed. Do you think the pick no more product is ok to use on her large wound? Or should I just go with the neosporin?
I have to admit the penecillin injections have me alittle worried. Not sure how good of a job I'd do with them since I don't handle needles too well. Might be able to talk my husband into doing it but just not sure on that.

Last summer I had a hen get bit by my dog and it was awful. She couldn't walk on 2 legs. I cleaned her large wound with equal parts peroxide and water to bubble out the dirt at least twice a day. Keep it dry and clean and it will heal. That second wound looks a day or so old to me. As it heals it may turn black around the edges due to the tissue dying, so do not worry. My girl was better in just a couple days but it may take a week or more for the wound to heal completely. But I do recommend separating her from the others because they may peck at her wounds and the roo may hurt her even more. Also, if you are worried about her being in pain crush a baby asprin and dissolve in her water. Good Luck.

Thanks everyone for your reply's. These chickens on keeping me on my toes this year with injuries. Just got done treating one of my roosters for a injury to his eye and now this.

Back
Top Bottom