Hen with supposed wet fowl pox, tips on keeping her alive?

My sister pointed out to me that this girl has been having a progressively harder time breathing for a few months now. It’s only recently gotten this severe. I just got home from college so I immediately assumed it was related to the pox, but it might be something else.
I have a vet appt set up for next week. I’ll keep posting updates til I know for sure what her issue is.

Wet pox should have hit her faster. This sounds more like a respiratory virus. Does she have lesions inside her mouth or down her throat? White/yellow-ish masses looking like cheese or a cleaning sponge? When she eats/drinks does she have trouble swallowing? Maybe raising her head vertically in order to force the food down?

Wet pox should have hit her faster. This sounds more like a respiratory virus. Does she have lesions inside her mouth or down her throat? White/yellow-ish masses looking like cheese or a cleaning sponge? When she eats/drinks does she have trouble swallowing? Maybe raising her head vertically in order to force the food down?

I can’t see anything in her throat, though I’ll admit I can’t see very far down. She doesn’t seem to be having trouble swallowing.

Here’s a video of her. This was a really bad fit, it happened right after she drank some water.

The vet came out yesterday and found a small lesion in Kirby’s mouth. By this point she’s basically better- she still coughs/sneezes a little bit but not as frequently or intensely, and she’s breathing fine again. The vet said that if it flares up again to give her some of the antibiotics I already have on hand.
Thank y’all for your help and input!

Back
Top Bottom