Hen with swelling around eye and clear discharge

Arret

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Pacific Rain Forest
I noticed last night that my wyandotte pullet has swelling around one eye and clear bubbly discharge. She is not sneezing and her nostril is clear. She has a crossbeak, but eats fine with a full crop, and is active and laying eggs. She is a pet, friendly and always following me around the yard. It may be a disease as she was exposed to strange chickens recently, or it may be an injury. She may have been pecked in the eye, as the top hen, Boss Girl, has been pecking at her.

I washed her face with warm, salty water. There was a lot of clear liquid in there, and it is sore, she flinches at any pressure. It seems like she is also having trouble seeing out of that eye. What could be wrong and what can I do to help her, first aid wise?

Thanks,
Arret

I'm really not sure, but may just some antibiotics. It looks kind of like it might be an allergy, sever cold, or maybe from an injury. Sorry I'm not much help, but I have never seen that in mine.

I believe its the start of a respatory problem if she continues to get worse I would give her tylan and see if it clears up. Injection costs must less then the power. You will have to look up dose, I'm not sure off the top of my hear

Keep her away from the other birds.

Good luck :eek:)

My wyandotte seems to be doing better! She still has a bit of swelling around the eye, but she's back to laying, for the first time since Thursday. She usually lays two days out of three, but stopped when her eye swelled up.

Her eye is still a bit swollen, probably from being pecked, but there's no discharge. I was holding her to wash her eye with saline and my top chicken came over and pecked her on the face, so she is my prime suspect. I have pecking order bullies, especially at evening, when they roost. I put in an extra roost and that seemed to calm things down considerably last night. Any suggestions on calming things further? Now they all want the same nesting box. I don't mind if they have a pecking order, but I wish they wouldn't go for her face!

Thanks for the replies,
Arret

Back
Top Bottom