Hen with swollen toe

Just_Clucky84

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Boston, MA
Yesterday I noticed that one of my hens - Olive - was limping. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and very skittish and doesn't like to come anywhere near me unless I have food. It took some work but I managed to grab her this afternoon. Below are two photo's of her swollen toe. I'm thinking she got a cut and it became infected. In picture two you can kind of see that part of the toe is crusty and protruding. She struggled A LOT and these were the best pics I could get. What should I do? Thanks!

42421_olivetoe1.jpg

42421_olivetoe2.jpg

Quote:
Can you see any place where a cut or thron could be or been? looks like it could be full of liquid, does it feel that way or hard? you might want to take an exacto knife or scapel or syringe with very small needle and see if you can get out what ever may be in there. Do this after you have scrubbed the foot real good. Then after getting out the infection, pus pack it good with neosporin w/o pain relief. put on a bandage and then vet wrap making sure not to wrap to tight. you'll need to keep her confined to make sure the wound stays clean and make sure it's draining which is very important.

its bumble foot if you wash the foot there will be a black scab its a plug and it needs to come out and you will have to dig in it to get the rest of the infection out.

Last edited:
Thank you all sooooo much! I researched bumblefoot and got instructions on how to remove the scab and pus. I performed surgery on Olive tonight when I got home from work and I couldn't believe the amount of gunk that came out!!! I filled the hole with neosporin and bandaged the foot. I will keep her confined for a few days and hopefully she will make a complete recovery. Thanks again!

Quote:
Great news, she should make a full and quick recovery, just make sure it continues to drain so you don't have to do it again. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom