Hen with watery stool, don't exactly know the problem

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
My 2.5 year old easter egger has had very watery stool for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I can't attach any photos but her stool is almost completely clear liquid and has small parts of solid stool in it. It is cool/cold where I live, and she has no symptoms other than the poop. She eats and drinks very well, is lively and happy, and seems to have no issues at all. I give them fresh water (with a cup waterer) and fresh food that is changed often. They all get grubs and sunflower seeds, lettuce/kale/cabbage, etc. The only possible symptom I can think of is that she is a bit small compared to my other chickens, but eats a lot, however I do not see visible worms, and she is not lethargic in any way.
I have tried to give her scrambled eggs, which she loves. If anybody could pinpoint something wrong it'll help a lot! I'm sure that this isn't a big issue, but just in case it is an infection/a symtom of a disease or infection. Thank you!

Hi there, what type of food and how much treats does she get?
Have you ever wormed them? Is she molting? How her crop feel? Doughy, squishy, hard? It should feel like a hacky sack.

Hello, thank you for the reply!
I have never wormed my chickens, however I have given them water with apple cider vinegar in it for short periods of time, and not often at all. I know this isn't a trusty dewormer, though.
She just came out from a molt, and regrew most, if not all her feathers. She is not laying eggs since she just molted, and I suppose she is also taking her winter break.
Her crop feels like how it normally does, however I have noticed that after the end of the day, when I check on my chickens, her crop is very hard and full. I checked the next morning and her crop was empty. At first I was worried she had an impacted crop, but she just eats a lot by the end of the day.
Should I maybe deworm her just in case?
(Edit: forgot to add, she gets a bit of grubs/seeds every day, and gets vegetables a few times a week. Never in large quantities, though. I am trying to wane them off from seeds and grubs.)

Hi there, what type of food and how much treats does she get?
Have you ever wormed them? Is she molting? How her crop feel? Doughy, squishy, hard? It should feel like a hacky sack.
(My previous answer was not added as as reply, lol)
I have never wormed my chickens, however I have given them water with apple cider vinegar in it for short periods of time, and not often at all. I know this isn't a trusty dewormer, though.
She just came out from a molt, and regrew most, if not all her feathers. She is not laying eggs since she just molted, and I suppose she is also taking her winter break.
Her crop feels like how it normally does, however I have noticed that after the end of the day, when I check on my chickens, her crop is very hard and full. I checked the next morning and her crop was empty. At first I was worried she had an impacted crop, but she just eats a lot by the end of the day.
(Edit: forgot to add, she gets a bit of grubs/seeds every day, and gets vegetables a few times a week. Never in large quantities, though. I am trying to wane them off from seeds and grubs.)

(My previous answer was not added as as reply, lol)
Yes, unfortunately, acv or any Vinegar has zero anthelmintic properties whatsoever.
Some probiotics wouldn't hurt, tsc sells animal probiotics but plain, live yogurt also works

Yes, unfortunately, acv or any Vinegar has zero anthelmintic properties whatsoever.
Some probiotics wouldn't hurt, tsc sells animal probiotics but plain, live yogurt also works
Ok, thank you, I really appreciate it! Do you think this could be a molting issue, worm problem, or an infection/disease?

Back
Top Bottom