Hen with wheezing

lmw411

Chirping
Aug 9, 2018
Hi all,

We recently introduced a new chicken to our flock. I noticed after several days she had some bubbling at her nose (like snot) but nothing from her eyes. She eats and drinks normally. However, I quarantined her immediately once I saw those symptoms. The next day, another hen who showed no problems the day before was wheezing, and seemed much worse off than the one I just mentioned. I just quarantined her today. She won't eat, but will drink very little. She seems swollen and coughs, but doesn't have watery eyes or a runny nose like the other hen. I've read symptoms online of various respiratory diseases but as I mentioned she only has the wheezing/cough and lethargy so I'm a bit confused because it seems they are usually accompanied with the runny noses/eyes.

The first hen I mentioned is still quarantined and eating/drinking. She seems lethargic as well (but she is in a small cage now, not much fun to be had in there!). She doesn't have any wheezing and never had it.

Thoughts? I know many say to cull but that would break my heart. We have a very small flock, only 6 chickens total so I don't mind helping them if I can.

EDIT: Wheezing isn't a good descriptor, she is 'gurgling' with each breath.

Last edited:
I also took all the hay from the coop and wiped everything down with a bleach solution this morning in hopes that could "sanitize" the coop.

Sorry about your illness. Usually new chickens should remain in quarantine for at least a month in case they are carriers of a respiratory disease such as MG or mycoplasma, ILT, coryza, or infectious bronchitis. It can take only several days for others to get sick with many diseases. If MG is the problem, Tylan 50 injectable along with 3 ml syringes and 20 gauge needles to withdraw the drug from the vial can be purchased from feed stores. Dosage is given orally by removing the needle 0.25 ml per pound (about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen) 3 times daily for up to 5 days. Mixing some water into a small bowl of chicken feed is a good way to get more water into them while they are sick. You can read over this link to see the various symptoms of those diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you, I started the Tylan 50 last night. She hasn't shown improvement, but she did lay an egg yesterday which is surprising. I'm not entirely sure what could be wrong since she doesn't have the runny nose/eyes. She just makes that gurgling sound, and is all puffed up (she looks like a round ball instead of a chicken). Do you still think it'd be MG?

Sorry about your illness. Usually new chickens should remain in quarantine for at least a month in case they are carriers of a respiratory disease such as MG or mycoplasma, ILT, coryza, or infectious bronchitis. It can take only several days for others to get sick with many diseases. If MG is the problem, Tylan 50 injectable along with 3 ml syringes and 20 gauge needles to withdraw the drug from the vial can be purchased from feed stores. Dosage is given orally by removing the needle 0.25 ml per pound (about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound hen) 3 times daily for up to 5 days. Mixing some water into a small bowl of chicken feed is a good way to get more water into them while they are sick. You can read over this link to see the various symptoms of those diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I would also check her crop to see if it is not functioning properly. If the crop becomes impacted or sour, it can fill up and they can gurgly from crop contents coming back up into the throat. The crop should gradually fill up with food and water during the day, and empty overnight. If it feels full and puffy or hard in early morning, then there may be a problem. I would encourage her to drink water.

I would also check her crop to see if it is not functioning properly. If the crop becomes impacted or sour, it can fill up and they can gurgly from crop contents coming back up into the throat. The crop should gradually fill up with food and water during the day, and empty overnight. If it feels full and puffy or hard in early morning, then there may be a problem. I would encourage her to drink water.
I'm going to check her crop when I get home. She so puffed up that you can't see her crop really. But her face doesn't have swelling. So odd!

I agree. Check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty.
You mention that you recently got her - how long has that been?
Photos of her poop may be helpful.

The one that is gurgling we've had for about 9 months. The one who I consider patient zero we've had for 2 weeks, and she was just introduced to the others a week ago. They are both quarantined, but don't seem to have the same symptoms. Patient zero just sneezes still and has the runny nose, no gurgling.

The one with the gurgling's poop is solid and looks normal, but some of it is a little lighter brown then usual.

Which one if puffed up? The new one or the other one?
Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing?

I think you could possibly have more than one thing going on, but it's hard to know.
The puffing up could just be from respiratory illness, but Coccidiosis overload and/or crop issues come to mind as well.

Which one if puffed up? The new one or the other one?
Can you take a fecal sample to your vet for testing?

I think you could possibly have more than one thing going on, but it's hard to know.
The puffing up could just be from respiratory illness, but Coccidiosis overload and/or crop issues come to mind as well.

The one who is puffed up is the one who is gurgling. I've looked into Coccidiosis and she doesn't seem to fit those symptoms. I am going to try to empty her crop tonight and see if that provides relief. I didn't yesterday because I she sounds like she has pneumonia and I wasn't sure how their respiratory systems worked and didn't want to increase risk of more aspiration (if that is what is going on).

Back
Top Bottom