Hen with white discharge

teafreak35

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
About 6 months ago, one of my hens began having a white discharge from her rear end. I watched her for a few days hoping she would get better, but she didn't. She began moving away from the rest of the flock and wouldn't eat or drink. She actually looked swollen the last day. I found her dead the next morning. I watched the rest of the flock to see if any of them showed the same signs, but no one else did (8 other hens) so I assumed it was something unique to her.

Now, 6 months later. Just this morning, I noticed that I have another hen with the white discharge. It's all crusted up on her rear end. No feathers are missing, but I haven't been able to catch her to inspect her more closely for anything else. She seems fine otherwise. I want to head this off before it heads in the same direction as my last hen. Any ideas what it could be and how I need to treat it?

Thanks for any help!!!

Ah! I was thinking that usually topical antiyeast drugs were used, at the vent. Should have guessed, though.
tongue.png

From what I remember reading, vent gleet can affect the many parts of the intestines and treatment for it is oral anti-fungals, but I decided to add the topical just to make her more comfortable. Guess I should edit my thread to make it more clear. :D

This is not something I know much about, thus the link to a thread about it. Obviously you do!
All I know is what I have read about it, lol, so she was/is a bit of an experiment. Due to other birds needing treatment, I've kind of neglected following through with her care.

About 6 months ago, one of my hens began having a white discharge from her rear end. I watched her for a few days hoping she would get better, but she didn't. She began moving away from the rest of the flock and wouldn't eat or drink. She actually looked swollen the last day. I found her dead the next morning. I watched the rest of the flock to see if any of them showed the same signs, but no one else did (8 other hens) so I assumed it was something unique to her.

Now, 6 months later. Just this morning, I noticed that I have another hen with the white discharge. It's all crusted up on her rear end. No feathers are missing, but I haven't been able to catch her to inspect her more closely for anything else. She seems fine otherwise. I want to head this off before it heads in the same direction as my last hen. Any ideas what it could be and how I need to treat it?

Thanks for any help!!!
Pretty much ditto. I just returned another hen back to their house as the treatments just weren't working after almost a month and the nystatin just seemed to make it worse instead of better. I did the testing with the Vagisil test kit and I got a 6.0 on their color chart which means more fungal than yeast. Also, the hens out in the chicken house are showing signs of this as well and the birds were separated. Don't know what is going on or why.

I have put in an order for copper sulfate with Jeffers and should have it by next week. Everyone is going to be treated, hens and roos.

I am hoping this will work. One thing that did slow it down a bit was using a capsule of my probiotic on the hen's food, that I had in the house. I'll do this again after i finish with the course of the copper sulfate.

Back
Top Bottom