Hen with yellow poo and unwell

Hennysmother

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013
My daughters hen ex battery has yellow poo - looking a bit sad sitting a lot & closing her eyes - not her usual self - has been drinking a lot - still eating . Slighty wheezy at night when i pick her up to put to bed, last two nights. I think she laid a few eggs last month altho we are in the middle of winter here in N Z. Could this be egg bound - what can we do? Help please

it's really hard to say. i would check her thoroughly for other symptoms. does she appear to be straining as if trying to lay an egg? have you seen any sign of a broken egg inside her? is her poop normal? if she's eating and drinking, that is a good sign. i would isolate her in a crate or cage so you can observe her more closely.

best, lynn

Thank you ... Got antibiotic from Vet for her just incase it is egg peritonitis - then gave her a very warm bath from feet up to belly - she wouldnt sit down - patted dry with a towell - now settled for the night in a carton on a thick dry towell with a hot water bottle under her to help dry her feathers ... She loved the warm water ( put two drops of essential lavender oil) to relax her ! Hooing that if it is an egg stuck she will be able to pass it . A dog chased the hens a couple of weeks ago wondering if that could have had an effect on her when she has started to lay again . There has been no straining and no other bowell motion that i am aware of - her crop seems normal though ... The poop discharge looked like cooked egg yolk, that color and consistency ... What else can i do ?!

What kind of antibiotic did the vet give you?

I think yellow urates (the runny part of the poop that's usually white) can sometimes indicate E. coli or other infection toward the end part of the digestive tract. My rooster had that problem for several days recently. I gave him some frozen cranberries (unsweetened, so sugar wouldn't possible strengthen infection), probiotics (You can use unsweetened yogurt), & xylitol, along with some other healthy treats. The yellow poops promptly started going away & he was clear in a couple days.

I don't know if your hen has any kind of related problem, but probiotics will likely help her no matter what she's dealing with.

So sorry she's struggling. That's great you are trying to help her out so kindly.

Thank you - i am not sure what the antibiotic is, yellowish powder & has to be given in water.... She is not eating or passing anything bit IS drinking the antibiotic water... Can only wait and hope she will start to eat something.

There are some good foods to feed ill chickens listed on the "Fungal Infections" page & a method for force-feeding small amounts on the "Baytril for Birds" page on the site linked in sig below, if you want to do. Sometimes getting a little bit of food in can help them feel enough perked up to eat a little more on their own after.

Last edited:
Thanks for interest ! My daughters hen is recovering - normal poop!!! She has been on anti biotic now for 7 days .... she is eating again - 3 more days on anti biotics to go !

Back
Top Bottom