Hen woke up limping

RedmanRanch

Chirping
May 2, 2010
Hello, my hen went to roost fine last night but came out limping this morning. There is no visible injury, no mites, no marks and when I bend her hock her toes close in fine. She is a Buff Orpington 6 to 7 months old, she eats lay pellets and a bit of scratch and fruit plus forages. She is still eating and let's me handle her fine. I am not sure if she has laid eggs yet as I have not observed her nesting, she is in a flock of 5. I have her separated and resting comfortably and she did stand a bit but won't walk, her poop is normal.

I would check her for being egg bound by inserting a clean finger inside her vent 1-2 inches. It could be that she injured herself jumping off the roost, or might have been injured before. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? I am not suggesting it is Mareks, but just trying to rule it out. Make sure that she can reach her food and water. If she does walk some, you could try to get a short video, upload it to YouTube with a link posted here.

Short video of her. I want to do what I can of course but also will take to vet when I find one that works with poultry.

I would check her for being egg bound by inserting a clean finger inside her vent 1-2 inches. It could be that she injured herself jumping off the roost, or might have been injured before. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease? I am not suggesting it is Mareks, but just trying to rule it out. Make sure that she can reach her food and water. If she does walk some, you could try to get a short video, upload it to YouTube with a link posted here.

Back
Top Bottom