Hen won't eat, drink, and has no feathers on her belly. Help!

Cheska

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Astralorpe hen, had been broody, picked her up yesterday, she came out and hung out with the girls for a while, was acting fine, then today, I pulled her out of the box again, trying to help her break her broodiness, and felt her belly. She had no feathers. I flipped her over, her vent is clean. I put her on the ground, she won't move, just stands. Once in a while she'll walk somewhere and stand some more. She refuses to eat or drink, and when I put her back in the run, she just walked back and got in her box again. What's wrong with her??

She is just broody. You need to put her in a dog crate or better, a cage with nothing in it but food and water. Make sure it is in the coop or in a shadey spot. A dog run is good also with a makeshift roost. You can coop her up at night . She will be very mad at you, but keep her in there for at least 3 days. Let her out, and if she goes straight to the nest box, put her back for 2 more days. Mine usually break in 3-5 days, but I have one right now that is very persistent.

Back
Top Bottom