Hen won't eat, drink, or move! Please help!

UrbanGAFarmer

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
My 18 week old hen won't eat, drink, or move. I was gone for the weekend and when I came back she was sitting in the doorway and not moving. The other hens were jumping around her. She was fine 3 days before, when I last saw her.

Here are her symptoms:
Won't eat when offered
Won't drink when offered
Won't move except when i feel its crop and vent area (feels completely limp when I've picked it up).
Has only made one noise and that is when I picked it up to isolate it. Sounded like a honk. Looks like it is trying to chirp but nothing comes out.
Eyes are usually open and alert. No watering.
No discoloration
No ruffled feathers.
Poop is clear and runny with some normal solid pieces. Much runnier than normal though.

What I've done since finding her this morning:
Brought her inside and have been dripping electrolyte water into her beak.
Given her some olive oil in case it is a stuck crop
Gave her a dewormer for possible gape worm - safe guard for goats.

Please help!

Could it be Marek's Disease? Her symptoms sound similar. I'm no expert but I would move her from the flock because Mareks can spead to other birds easily. I would Search Marek's Disease on Google and read about the symptoms and compare them with your Hen.

It could be mareks as well. Haven't looked into that until now. I wish there were clearer symptoms. Seem that so many symptoms overlap with different problems... ahhh so frustrating.

The problem is many things have the same symptoms. I just lost a gold laced brahma, and have really researched to try and find out what it was. I gave them some earth worms the other day and found that worms have worms in them. Seven days later shes dead. She was also opening her mouth like it was hard to breath, which is also a symptom of having worms. Good luck.

I have the same problems With 2 hens I just got. 7-8 months old. I'm trying Tylan 50 right now. Second day of treatment. They do seem to be eating more but still gasping for air. If this doesn't work, then I will try the safe-guard. Hopefully they will hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom