Hen won't get off nest.

Cockledoo

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
I have a 1 1/2 yr old hen that I have had for 6 mos. She has NEVER sat on a nest longer than it took her to lay an egg. All of a sudden she has been sitting on the nest for two days, is that normal?

The experience I have had with broody hen is "put her in chicken 🐔 jail" it sounds harsh BUT it is best for her and her health. A broody hen will set on the nest and not eat or drink while there. If you have an "isolation area/cage" put her in it...no nest or nesting material just food and water. It can take anywhere from 3 to 5 days to break her. I know I know...it seems extremely harsh and is/was the hardest thing we have had to do, even with some of the accidents emergencies we have had.

Yes she is flattened out and VERY grumpy. I do not know if she has eggs under her, I dont disturb her do I ?? What do I do now?
Does sound like she’s broody. I would check under her for eggs.
Do you have a rooster? If so, you could let her hatch chicks out. However, it’s a bit late in the season, so it’s up to you. If you do decide to break her, I would do as City Farmer Jim said. A wire bottomed cage works best, so she can’t decide to set on no eggs.

Thank you, and yes we do not want chicks.
then it is definitely better for her health to break her; her behaviour is determined by hormones, she cannot control them, so basically you will be catalyzing her body into turning the broody hormones off. An open bottomed crate, so air can flow around under her and cool her off, in sight of the flock, so that they can all stay in touch, is the usual method and the one I use (and takes 5 days for me), but this thread claims there is a faster, easier way https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/did-i-just-stop-broody-hens-so-easily.1311542/
Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you and your broody!

Back
Top Bottom