Hen Wont Go Back Inside for the Night!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiesrqtpies, Aug 23, 2011.

1. silkiesrqtpies

silkiesrqtpies New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi everyone

My chickens sleep inside an insulated kennel and have been doing so for nearly a year. My hen goes into the plants to lay her eggs, in a little well hidden spot. It's 6:36 PM here and completely dark and she's sitting there, presumably keeping her eggs warm, and it doesn't seem like she's going to go to the kennel. The problem is it's winter here and the temperature is going to drop to about -6 degrees centigrade with wind factor, and I'm worried for her safety. I tapped her gently on the head and she just cackled angrily...should I move her into the kennel?

Advice needed!

Thanks

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    If she is broody I would definetely bring her in and keep her and her eggs comfortable. I don't think it would be good for her to be out in such temperatures.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Where the heck do you live that it is sooo cold in August?

4. silkiesrqtpies

silkiesrqtpies New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Quote:She's definitely broody...she's a year old on Sunday and this is the first time I've seen her like this so I got a bit spooked. I brought her in but I don't want her eggs incubated, so sadly she is separated from them.

Quote:South Africa.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by