1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen won't lay in nest box

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chickenlady1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Chickenlady1

Chickenlady1 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I have 3 Bourbon Red hens about 7-8 months old and one started laying eggs. I cannot seem to get her to lay in her nest box. I have moved the eggs in there from her nest out in the field but that does not seem to help. I have tried putting fake eggs in there but the hens play with them and I have found them all over the place! I have 4 toms in with the hens and they are starting to mate, well at least the one laying is. How can I correct this early on before the other hens start doing the same thing?? Any help or advice would be great! I am new to raising turkeys and I picked them to breed.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    do you have a place to pen them up? I know putting chickens on "lock down" helps with these sorts of issues...may it work for turkeys too?

3. Chickenlady1

Chickenlady1 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I do have a big house we built for them. I have doors I can shut to lock them in. I know I have done that to my chickens too (they like they hay in the barn and not in their boxes). I will give it a try when all three hens start laying that way I can get them all at once. Thanks for the advice!

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    A turkey is gonna lay where they want to lay! Even in a pen they may not use a box unless they want. I use a medium dog house in my pens filled with hay and most will use them but some don't!

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by