Hen won't let others in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jembo87, Jul 27, 2016.

1. jembo87

jembo87 New Egg

Jul 27, 2016
    Hello, I was wondering if I could ask some advice. We have a lone ISA brown hen (we lost the other one) so got 2 silkies to keep her company. After a bit of convincing we managed to introduce them fine, and now they happily potter around the garden together with just the odd bit of pecking from the ISA to remind them whose boss. The problem we have now is that she is deliberating chasing and then blocking one of the silkies out of the coop (there is only one access point). We have tried just putting the silky in whilst everyone is asleep but the ISA keeps chasing her out.
    Any suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You could pull the Isa at roost time to give the silkies a chance to settle in than add her in. Perhaps after a few nights of that she might change her mind.

I'm assuming your coop is one of those smaller ones that often don't work well for allowing birds to get away from each other. I have noticed that on the roosts dominant members don't allow submissive member near them and seem to enforce a 5-10 foot distance, something that's impossible in a small coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by