Hen won't open her eyes

Paws4fun

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
My sweet little hen won't open her eyes - I noticed it yesterday - but when I picked her up she opened both eyes. This morning she was on the roost while everyone else was by the door waiting to go outside. I opened the door - my sick hen never moved. I picked her up and her eyes wouldn't open. She is still alert and able to walk around.....they eye area looks clear- no discharge.

Anyone seen this before??

What should I do? I moved her to isolation so the other wouldn't pick on her and food and water is easy to find.

We need a little more information to help you, such as her age, and any diarrhea or blood in her droppings, what does her crop feel like, and will she eat a drink for you? Has she ever been wormed, and have you ever had any other chickens ill or who have died? Have you added any new chickens recently that could have brought some illness in?

We need a little more information to help you, such as her age, and any diarrhea or blood in her droppings, what does her crop feel like, and will she eat a drink for you? Has she ever been wormed, and have you ever had any other chickens ill or who have died? Have you added any new chickens recently that could have brought some illness in?

Sorry I am very new to this - I got my girls in March - they came to me infested with lice - that was treated and hasn't been an issue since. I check them all once a week for parasites. She is just over a year old - all the drooping in the coop have looked normal - no blood. She was not interested in eating or drinking for me this morning. I never thought to check her crop - to be honest I don't know what I'd be feeling for....
I bought 8 hens at once - I had one with a stuck egg - she died a week after I had them - the breeder replaced her - but that was back in March.

Maybe there is some crusty stuff keeping her eyes shut? If so you could take a Q-Tip with water on it and hold it to her eye to soak it, then gently try to open it.
I had a chick (just a few days old) that had one eye that was always stuck, I just kept opening it whenever I got the chance and now she's fine, I got her in march along with 14 other chicks from MyPetChicken

Last edited:
Maybe there is some crusty stuff keeping her eyes shut? If so you could take a Q-Tip with water on it and hold it to her eye to soak it, then gently try to open it.
I had a chick (just a few days old) that had one eye that was always stuck, I just kept opening it whenever I got the chance and now she's fine, I got her in march along with 14 other chicks from MyPetChicken

Thank you! I will try that tonight!! I hope that is all it is!!!

How is your hens eye?

Thank you so much for asking!!! My hens eye is back to normal!!! Turns out I had a respiratory infection rip through my coop - the crusty eyes was a result of it. I treated them all with Oxysol 62.5 and the two with the eye issues got treated with polysporin eye drops as well! I am back to having a healthy happy coop!!!!
How is your little chicks eye now?

Back
Top Bottom