Hen won't ween her chicks off?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
So shockingly my Rhode Island red mother hen went broody over some of my smallest bantams eggs, what is the smallest I mean she's tiny which made her eggs even smaller. Anywho so I felt bad so I took a couple of the mother hens eggs out of the fridge and put it under her, out of six eggs that were under her, 4 hatched but we lost one. There all about 12 weeks old but the mother hen still hasn't tried weaning them off all at all! I had no problems until the other day when one of my roosters tried mounting one of her chicks, and they're pretty big chicks too, again 12 weeks, and the mother hen went absolutely ballistic! She won't let any of the other chickens near her and her chicks, I've tried separating her chicks from her but for a week straight she cried and cried for them and refuse to eat so I had to let them back with her.. what should I do??

So shockingly my Rhode Island red mother hen went broody over some of my smallest bantams eggs, what is the smallest I mean she's tiny which made her eggs even smaller. Anywho so I felt bad so I took a couple of the mother hens eggs out of the fridge and put it under her, out of six eggs that were under her, 4 hatched but we lost one. There all about 12 weeks old but the mother hen still hasn't tried weaning them off all at all! I had no problems until the other day when one of my roosters tried mounting one of her chicks, and they're pretty big chicks too, again 12 weeks, and the mother hen went absolutely ballistic! She won't let any of the other chickens near her and her chicks, I've tried separating her chicks from her but for a week straight she cried and cried for them and refuse to eat so I had to let them back with her.. what should I do??
I have some that I think are over 20 weeks and their mom still hangs out with them, but she's not a necessity :)

Up date, still with her baby's, two of em are roosters and already crowing, the other is a pullet, almost the same size as her mum

Back
Top Bottom