Hen wounded by dog attack - is it treatable?

Chickens are very resilient creatures. A few months back I got a call from my dh who was at work. He has a friend who rescues dogs and he had called looking for advice b/c his dogs had found a chicken. He was upset and didn't know what to do (this guy is an animal nut) He knew nothing about chickens. We arranged to pick up the hen the next day. He took her inside to a warm dry place and cleaned her up and applied neosporin. She was in rough shape, she couldn't walk, she had multiple puncture wounds, but her eyes were still very active and responsive. I got her the next day and babied her in the same way, a few days later she was doing a little better so I put her in my nursery pen with some of my adolescents, she was still limping, I didn't know if she would ever walk right again. Today she is perfectly healthy, her feathers have grown back in perfectly, her limp is gone and he is a beauty. She is a little skiddish, but I think she was abandoned and wild to begin with. Anyway, my point is, she was in rough shape, and within a few months she was perfect.

buckeye lady -

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
smile.png

Update: my girl is doing great!
lol.png
I kept her quiet inside for a few days before letting her back out with the other hens, and she's getting right back to her normal, bossy self. She's healing quickly and eating well and I'm sure that soon you wouldn't know she'd been hurt. Also, I'm working on a proactive plan to enlarge the coop and put a better barrier between the dogs and my hens. Hopefully that, alongside better family communication, will help prevent something like this from happening again.

Thank you all so much!
big_smile.png
You guys are amazing!

Sorry my feathers got a little ruffled....I thought the dogs were running with the chickens on a regular basis...So glad she is doing well, and I hope you never have to go through that again!

Back
Top Bottom