Henry the Roo

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zenbirder, May 31, 2007.

1. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Before I got chicks I told everyone I was not going to have a roo... I even made arangements with the feed store to return one if I got one, he assured me his chicks were sexed so well I wouldn't get one but he would take one back anyway. Well by six weeks the RIR Madeline had to have a name change to Henry. Henry must have had a cosmic inkling of his fate, he became the friendliest one of the bunch, the first to jump in my lap and tell me sweet chicken stories. I can walk right up to him and pick him up and cuddle. Needless to say I couldn't think of parting with him [​IMG]. So my question is: What should I do/not do to help our long term friendship go smoothly? He is 10 weeks now and will be free range at least some of the time. What are the odds he would turn agressive? He shows nubbs where spurs will grow, will they be a problem or a help with stray dogs? I have not been around a rooster since I was 10, so I really don't remember much, and advice is appreciated.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well....if he is that friendly now, he will continue to be friendly. I have a wonderfull RIR Roo. He is so protective over his hens. He even protects the other roo I have in there with them. They all get to free range from early morning, to early evening. I do however need to get in there and clip those spurs. I am sure he will NOT like that! LOL Enjoy your friendly roo. And, if he DOES turn mean....chicken soup....chicken and dumplins...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by