Hens and mealworm owner ^_^

Eeko

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 6, 2014
Hi, I have been checking on BYC on and off whenever I need information for almost an year. I live in CA. We got 4 Americanas chicks last October but raised them in 4H club until a month ago. (1 turns out to be rooster and was relocated to my friend's property since no rooster is allowed in iur city)

We built a chicken coop this summer and finally brought the rest 3 home. They developed feather eating habit being too bored in 4H. We wish their feather can grow back eventually, especially the lowest rank one who lost her feather around her neck and looked like a turkey now. At the same time we also adopted two 3 year olds Silkies. So we have 5 hens in total.

We also began to raise mealworms after reading a great (easy to do) thread here. However, the 1000 mealworms we purchased keep on dying everyday for two weeks now. I scoop dried and black mealworms out for our hens everyday. I don't know what went wrong. So far we have just less than twenty pupae. Hope they turn to beetles and have next generation..

Glad to join this resourceful community. ^_^

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have already had lots of experiences. Good luck with your flock and mealworm raising!

Glad you joined our flock!
big_smile.png

Mealworms and bugs and things are NOT up my alley. I think I would be rejoicing if they all 'kicked off', so it is best if you post on the mealworm thread.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining BYC. :eek:) I've never raised mealworms, so I can't help you there, but definitely post on the link that TwoCrows has left you with. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock and your mealworm raising.

Back
Top Bottom