Hens are dropping like flies!

casadezorola

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015

We suddenly like lost a 15 week old French Maran this morning, then another came up with sudden symptoms within an hour (same breed/age). Now our 25 week old Silver Wyandotte is exhibiting the same symptoms!

Very pale faces, tail feather loss (no visible sign of mites/lice), closed pale eyes, extreme lethargy, and (I'm 90% sure) diarrhea.

3 sick and 1 dead within 15 hours of exhibiting symptoms?! What could it be?!

Images attached of the young Maran

About 20 or so different things.
Rapidly spreading disease, multiple birds affected and fast death is time to have a necropsy done.
What state are you in?

Could be worms. Could be Coccidiosis. Could be numerous things. Did you happen to move them from a brooder to dirt recently?

I would run Corid through every chicken waterer you have to stem the losses if it's Cocci. 1.5 teaspoon per gallon for 5-7 days.

And definitely send them in for a necropsy as previously suggested.

MrsB

Could be worms. Could be Coccidiosis. Could be numerous things. Did you happen to move them from a brooder to dirt recently?

I would run Corid through every chicken waterer you have to stem the losses if it's Cocci. 1.5 teaspoon per gallon for 5-7 days.

And definitely send them in for a necropsy as previously suggested.

MrsB

They've been in the same run since the beginning. It's 1/4 dirt with food grade diatomaceous earth in the shade, then 3/4 run with EcoFlake shavings that I change once a week.

Same ol' good, fresh water every day. And they've even been on Sulmet for the last week because of loose stools!
1f629.png

Sulmet treats Coryza, and only get 2 of the 9 types of Cocci that a chicken can get... plus it's really hard on them.

Corid treats all 9 types and has no withdrawal period. It's really gentle. :)

This young, I doubt it's worms, but a good dose of Corid will do a chicken good!

Very sorry for your losses.

MrsB

I believe that a necropsy in a California state lab is free. Until you know what you're dealing with, it's a crapshoot.

Don't put your chickens through any more stress. Get lab work done.

Last edited:
We're in Orange County, California
Free necropsies at CAHSF in San Bernadino.

san_bern.jpg
San Bernardino Laboratory

The San Bernardino laboratory provides diagnostic laboratory support for the livestock and poultry industries of southern California, and conducts serological tests required for programs of the Animal Health Branch. It is staffed and equipped to provide diagnostic support in pathology, bacteriology, mycology, milk quality, serology, and some aspects of virology and parasitology. It serves as a point of access for all services offered by the CAHFS.
The San Bernardino Laboratory accepts AVIAN, LIVESTOCK, and HORSE submissions: avian carcasses and biopsies, livestock and horse carcasses and biopsies, serology and bacterial cultures.
105 W Central Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408 2113
(909) 383-4287
(909) 884-5980 (FAX)
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom