Hens are ready for their permanent house and we are behind schedule.

So many people are offended by things said on this website anymore it's been great to be a part of this thread. I've really enjoyed it.

I won't be able to look at an office chair again without laughing.

Mutt farm - I love the ventilation holes on your nesting boxes.

Very nice painting job husband of Mutt Farm! I spent my time today hanging the second door and painting the final coat on the hen house. We have humid hot weather here. I am going to have to put a fan in the new place to cool the hens. The basement is cool and low humidity.

Last edited:
He is a friend of chickens.... unlike our female doggie. Bought the last of the wire cloth today. Totaling about 140 feet of 4 ft. wide 1/2" by 1/2" wire cloth. I think I might be able to finish everything in a week.... so that means 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
He is a friend of chickens.... unlike our female doggie. Bought the last of the wire cloth today. Totaling about 140 feet of 4 ft. wide 1/2" by 1/2" wire cloth. I think I might be able to finish everything in a week.... so that means 2-3 weeks.
This is where the other part of chicken math must be hidden. Seems like it should always take less time than it does in the end.
Good work getting things going well enough that the end is in sight.
thumbsup.gif

I am getting closer to finishing the girls' home. Just need to complete the inside of the house...thinking about wiring it in for lighting, fan and winter heat light, etc...

Last edited:
The lighting is handy for us humans. The chickens don't need the extra heat in GA. If your water would freeze than the electric is nice for a heated water dish as well.

That being said.... Mine is wired in and if needed I can heat mine. We get stints of -20 for a couple weeks in the winter. Found that I really did not need the heat and they would avoid the warmer area of the coop. Not that it was all that warm at a whopping 0 with the radiant oil heater running full blast.

IF you do choose to add heat PLEASE use extreme caution about the heat lamps. So many people loose the coop and chickens each year due to heat lamps that fail or fall.

You have put a lot of work into that coop and those hens. I would be saddened to hear you lost it all.

IF you do choose to add heat PLEASE use extreme caution about the heat lamps. So many people loose the coop and chickens each year due to heat lamps that fail or fall.

You have put a lot of work into that coop and those hens. I would be saddened to hear you lost it all.
Being serious, that is a much needed warning. My brooder was in my tackroom of my wooden barn with my beloved horses and their shavings and hay. I double.triple checked but was still very nervous. I won't do that again. K. I can be serious for 3 sentences. Here is my energy efficient solution for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom