Hens are scratching out bedding from nests

llshine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Grundy, Virginia
my chickens have all been free range, I recently built a coop and put them In it. I have eighteen hens and one rooster locked in the coup. All of a sudden a hen or two, or more, I don't know, sH ave scratched all the bedding out of the nesting boxes onto the floor of the coup. I had old hay in the nesting boxes before. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if the nesting boxes need to be cleaned out with new hay put in them, which they have been bedded in hay for several years. Or whether they are freaked out because they are locked up..What do I need to do.

My hen scratches through the hay we use looking for bugs, she makes a massive mess everytime we refill the nesting boxes! Could this be the cause?

I like to keep fresh hay in the nests, and change it fairly often, maybe every couple of weeks. If nothing else, it helps prevent lice and mites from setting up housekeeping there. Since they have recently been confined, this could certainly be part of the cause; this was probably very frustrating for them.

my chickens have all been free range, I recently built a coop and put them In it. I have eighteen hens and one rooster locked in the coup. All of a sudden a hen or two, or more, I don't know, sH ave scratched all the bedding out of the nesting boxes onto the floor of the coup. I had old hay in the nesting boxes before. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if the nesting boxes need to be cleaned out with new hay put in them, which they have been bedded in hay for several years. Or whether they are freaked out because they are locked up..What do I need to do.
Are you saying your flock is now confined to only the coop.....no run?

I have a fenced in leanto shed on the back of my barn. I'd say it is 30 ft. By 15 ft.

Maybe this will work for daytime at least.

It helps a lot in answering many questions, including these, to have a general idea of your location. You can add it to your postbit (where your member name is) by going into "my profile" at the top right on any page. In many climates, this is all chickens really need for a coop.

Back
Top Bottom