Hens are throwing all their feed out of the feeder and on to the ground

Rick26

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Cleveland, TN
My wife and I are new to the chicken "business". Late spring we purchased a small coop (tractor-style) and now have four nice red sexlink hens giving us an egg each every day. We're feeding them from a small hanging feeder (Tractor Supply) that holds about 1-2 lbs of feed. Using good quality layer pellets. Supplementing feed with scratch, 2-3 cups a day on the ground. Problem is that every time we fill the feeder, the hens almost immediately begin digging out all the feed and throwing it on the ground. This has been happening for about 6 weeks now. Any ideas as to why and what we might do to resolve the problem?

If they're spilling it out with their beaks, you might want to try a feeder that has little dividers - baffles - in the feeding area. It helps prevent them from being able to flip the feed out.

Link to a pic of one in case I didn't explain it well > http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fjVdSPIfL._SX425_.jpg

If they're scratching it out with their feet, raise the feeder or hang it from something so their feet can't reach it.

Good Luck!

Had the same problem I made a 5 gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows 3inch, they have to stick their heads in the hole and can't fling the food out, cut the elbow so it is about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the bucket and I put a little caulking around the elbow just to make sure no water gets in, this thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If they are "flicking it out" it's still not quite high enough.
Also STOP refilling until they eat what's on the ground.
It won't hurt them
This.
My feeder is high enough the smaller birds need to stretch a little to reach the feed. They still wind up with a fair amount on the ground sometimes, so once a week or so I just don't feed them. That day they clean up what's on the ground. Feeders are a human convenience, birds are quite happy to eat off the ground, it's actually far more natural for them, so don't think you're being "mean" or anything by making them clean up their spills.

Had the same problem I made a 5 gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows 3inch, they have to stick their heads in the hole and can't fling the food out, cut the elbow so it is about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the bucket and I put a little caulking around the elbow just to make sure no water gets in, this thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I second this post...........Jetdog told me about the one in the picture above and I'm so glad he did!!!! I had what you have and will NEVER use it again. TSC makes a killing on those junk feeders that waste food!!!!

There's a link in my signature below that will show you how to make one for about $3 bucks. It holds 25lbs of food, no poop can get in the food, and ABSOUTELY no waste. You will never use another feeder once you have one of these. Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!

Link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

Last edited:

I made this feeder too and it greatly reduced the spillage but it is not foul proof. Just use crumbles or pellets. If scratch or corn is mixed in with regular feed, the chickens can bill it onto the ground to pick out their favorite scratch/corn. I throw out scratch in the morning and corn at night and that forces them to eat the pellets the rest of the day.

Back
Top Bottom