Hens attacking another hen?

thanks Maggie. I dont know. She went to sleep with the other 2 big girls. She is sleeping down in the litter while they roost. Hopefully when they get to be the same size, she will fit in better.

Quote:
Is it possible for you to put her inside the coop with the 7-week-olds, but place her in a dog carrier or cage with food/water, where they can see each other and get used to each other's presence -- but no actual mingling, for a couple days at least. Then let her out, and see how she does with them. If it is THEIR Coop, and not hers, she has a little more adjusting to do. I wouldn't worry too much about her initial pecking, unless they are very much smaller than she, or if she is damaging the youngsters. You could also give them all a couple flock blocks or a rotting log, to help the introduction go better and give everyone lots of interesting things to do. Also make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers - a feeder and waterer available at opposite ends of the coop - at least until the lonely big chick has been integrated fully. This will give everyone, even those being victimized the worst, a place to run to get a drink or take a bite of feed. Provide also a hiding place, such as a piece of plywood leaning up against a corner wall, so that smaller chicks can run in and hide its head from a bully such as your 12 week old.

I have a flock of 8 hens about a year old, and a few months ago the #1 RIR started mounting the #2 Australorp. It finally got to the point that she was losing feathers around her comb. I tried some anti-peck stuff and it seemed to help but before I could determine if the bad behavior had stopped, the Australorp suddenly died. No evidence of sickness or that she had been hurt and I don't think it had anything to do with the mounting. She was in ther run one morning and a few hrs later I found her dead in the spot where I had last seen her. The other chickens were out in the open run and didn't even seem to notice. The girls were very quiet for about a week and I saw no major jostling for position since everyone seemed to keep their same rank. But recently, #1 has started harassing our little EE which is at or near the bottom of the order - nothing serious, just enough to make her run.

There is some good info from others here, I do tend to favor the one at the bottom but try to always make sure I snack the big girls first. I will try to be the more "in charge" member of the flock as suggested.

Our 5 EE are 4 months old; one of our pullets turned out to be a rooster
hmm.png
; recently, the rooster has started challenging ME, and attacking one of the hens. His 'main squeeze' has also started attacking this same hen. I have no problem getting rid of the rooster - our ten y.o. GSD is terrified of the crowing. Any help and/ or advice would be greatly appreciated. At present, the rooster is confined to the coop and the "girls" are free ranging. BTW- when the rooster is caged, his 'squeeze' leaves the other hen alone.

Back
Top Bottom