Hens attacking each other, help?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by west5000, Oct 24, 2016.

1. west5000

west5000 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    Last year I got 6 chickens (not sure what breed they are, they're mixed). two of them were roosters. over time we got a few legbars and then about 7 sex links. we keep the roosters by themselves and the legbars by themselves. currently we keep the older hens and the sex links in the same pen. they were doing pretty well for the first two, three months they were together. but recently, I have an older hen and a sex link that attack the other hens. if there's a hen laying or nesting, they jump up and push then down as a rooster would, and it almost looks like they're trying to rip the others' combs off. a lot of times I walk in the pen and see a few hens' combs all bloody. they've also been super defensive and tense around people, and they're usually not like that. I feel like this is not normal. any advice, help, or info? thanks!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

How large is your coop and run? Overcrowding is a frequent cause of picking and aggression.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  4. west5000

west5000 New Egg

Oct 24, 2016
    thank you so much for the article! I do believe it may be overcrowding or one over dominant hen.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Removing the aggressors for a couple of weeks should act to reduce their standing in the pecking order, once returned and may help things. Obviously, if overcrowding is the issue, you know the solution.

Good luck

CT

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I concur with the advice you have gotten, so I'll just say hi! :frow

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Put the aggressors in time out - away from the others. If they don't improve in behavior when you return to flock - you can try pinless peepers on them (put that in search box and it will come up.) If that doesn't help I think they should cool their tempers in freezer camp.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. ReeeceA14267

ReeeceA14267 New Egg

Feb 3, 2017
    I have 6 chickens one is a lovely bantam one a Dorking breed and 4 unknown and lately the 4 unknown siblings havebjust been attacking either the back of the other twos necks or they're combs and it just keeps getting worse I've had to pull all 4 of my little bantam at one point I really need the help please

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by