Hens attacking roo legs

messianicmom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 21, 2009
I have about 4 hens/pullets that have taken to attacking our Roo's legs; they rip the scales right off.
When it first happened, we removed sprayed his legs w/Blue coat. Didn't work. Then we separated him for him to completely heal. We put him back this morning-same thing. They undid all his healing in seconds. My son took the offenders and separated them this time.

I don't know what else to do. I really don't want o butcher them as they are excellent layers, but I can't have this occurring either.

Any other solutions to break this cycle?

It seemed to have started after a fight between our two Roos (an accident that their paths crossed), even though we separated him from them at the time-maybe we weren't quick enough in that. I don't know. I just need to solve this.

Thank you,
Rachel

From what I have read, hens will abuse roosters that are low on the pecking order. While they'll accept a dominant roo without hesitation, a low-ranking roo is given a very hard time. We've been pretty luck so far with our flock--the hens and roosters all get along pretty well--but I know it can get pretty bad once they get started bullying someone at the bottom of the pecking order. I wish I knew what to tell you to help your poor little rooster, but I just am not experienced enough in that area to have any suggestions.

I had a similar situation this summer. I added a younger rooster to my pen of 11 layers and they bullied him for a while. As long as he stayed out of the way he was okay. They had pretty much settled down after about 2 weeks. I think if your rooster is younger you may have to separate him until he gets older and more sure of himself. I would not cull the layers.

Thank you. My husband looked up some info today and found something interesting. This started after a fight between our older, established Big Buff, the head roo, and the younger, recently turned 1 yr. old roo.
Mr. Buff didn't win the fight. What my husband found out is that hens will turn against a roo that losses a fight, as he has lost his power, etc. The only hens that aren't going after him are the youngest (under 30 weeks) and our oldest (2+); it's the ones born at the beginning of this year that have gone after him. My son read something similar about older Roos in one of our books.
I think that's what has happened.

We've decided not to cull the five girls, but to look towards breeding a new male to lead them next year and put Mr. Buff (and an egglaying friend) "out to pasture".

I woke up to a Bad ROOSTER DAY! I have 2 coops and the one I call Gimp was in the silkies coop when I left them out which was unusal , My 2 leghorn roosters have been together from the incubater and today all hell broke lose, I came back from the mailbox and it was a blood bath in the yard "Strut" my other leghorn was bleeding and cowering in the corner of the shed and Gimp was crowing with blood on his feathers, Gimps got his name on a box for the auction, I just cant part with my sons favorite rooster, does handling the rooster making him friendly also make him a wimp ???

I'm sorry you've had such a bad Roo day. Sounds like Gimp definitely won the fight.
I can't answer your question; other than a guess of not necessarily. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

We've decided to remove our Big Buff as he was getting pecked up by the other hens and pullets-on his face, his tail, his legs; though not hard, it was becoming constant. He's just lost all of his authority. Makes me sad.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom