Hens defecting from their coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CovenantCreek, Jan 30, 2009.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Any ideas what inter-poultry dynamics would cause hens to leave their coop for another? I have a third hen from the Delaware coop that has decided to sleep in the RSL's coop. The Barred Rock and first Delaware moved out a couple months ago.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Dose that coop have lice or mites? that would make them leave, or they just like it better in the other coop. do you have a chicken 'bully'?

3. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    No one seems to have parasite problems. During the day, the coops are interchangeable for the entire flock. I did notice that one hen was doing some bullying in the Delaware coop, but I haven't figured out if the one who moved out is the one who was getting picked on. Last night was the first night this one elected to bed down with the big girls and other defectors.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are the coops exactly the same?

5. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:No, the one they left is smaller, but not crowded with only 9-10 birds. It also didn't have a light to wake them up bright and early. The coop they moved into is only slightly larger and gets a 4:00 AM wake up call every day. It's also colder due to being in a larger structure (the coop is part of a 12'x30' shed.

The truly odd part is that the newest hen to make the switch was one of the ones doing some bullying rather than one getting bullied. [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Chickens are odd. I have a roost on one side of the coop. Then I put a one bar roost on the other side. Now they all want to sleep on that.
    Then, I have the nests in there. I put a dog house in the run just in case I need it. A few started laying eggs in it for about 6 months. Now they lay in the coop again. I think it has alot to do with pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by