Hens eating eggs

mamadukes1

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2015
Hey guys, Happy New Year's to all !!! I have a question. I have 13 hens and at least 6 of them are laying, however, one of the chickens and I do not know which one is laying an egg and then eating it and yesterday it looked like it had eaten 2 eggs. How can I correct this or stop it and why do they do this? Thank you in advance for your help.

They may need more protein. I think you have to try to collect the eggs more often too. Not sure, but those fake ceramic eggs might help discourage them if they peck at them. Good luck!

Im am feed ing them Purina Layena Omega 3 feed with following ingredients: Crude Protein (min.) 16.0%, Lysine (min.) 0.70%, Methionine (min.) 0.30%, Crude Fat (min.) 3.25%, Crude Fiber, (max.) 6.0%, Calcium (min.) 3.60%, Calcium (max.) 4.60%, Phosphorus (min.) 0.59%, Salt (NaCl), (min.) 0.20%, Salt (NaCl), (max.) 0.70%, Sodium (Na), (min.) 0.10%, Sodium (Na), (max.) 0.60%, Manganese (min.) 160 ppm, Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.) 1.10%, Ash (max.) 14.50%. They also have daily snacks of fresh vegi's and fruit.

16% Layer and fruits and veggies has diluted the protein.

I'd up the protein, get some fake eggs and gather eggs frequently.

Read a neat trick that worked well for someone.
They rolled a fake egg out onto the ground/floor, the egg eater went at it all out.
They isolated that bird and the problem went away.

I'm a first year chicken owner, and as they began laying eggs I encountered two problems:

1) Eggs being laid on the ground under the coop,
2) Eggs in the nesting box being pecked at (sometimes eaten, sometimes not).

In response I built a roll out nest. I built it so that the eggs roll out the back of the nest, which I access through a hatch that I cut in the side of the coop. This saved me from having to open the coop door and reach into the coop to retrieve the eggs.

The second thing that I did was to purchase 6 wooden eggs. I put these in the roll out nest (the chickens can still see the eggs and stretch their necks into the egg holding area). Within 2 days all 8 hens committed to laying in the nesting boxes, and the egg pecking stopped almost as quickly. I think seeing the cache of eggs (2 in each of the 3 nests) gave them the sense that the nest was the place to do their business. And after a few days of pecking at eggs that wouldn't break, they stopped that behavior as well.

I now how clean unbroken eggs, any my access to them couldn't be easier.

Back
Top Bottom