hens eating eggs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DVTO2, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    I have several hens who have been eating eggs. I've got them separated uot for now but they are heading for the cook pot if I can't get them to stop. Any suggestions?

2. hennotrooster

hennotrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Hesperia CA
    If you can figure what time of morning they lay get out there and gather them before they have a chance to eat them. You can try to put some fake eggs in the nests they can't eat them so this may confuse them into leaving the real thing alone. I got out late one day last week and found one egg had not only been picked at but was also pushed out of the nest box. Good luck hear this can be a bad habit to break.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I tried the golf ball trick, it worked for me. Kinda glad, cause the next option was the old mustard in the blown egg trick, which is a lot more involved. Good luck.

5. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    K, I'll try some of these. At first I was isolating each bird with my muscovies to see if there was a laying problem. It seems like when they were alone the ducks they were not eating eggs. Now I've got three culprits in with the ducks and they are chowing down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by