Hens egg production is way down

mountainhen88

Chirping
Mar 19, 2021
I have six hens and one rooster, all were born this spring. I've been consistently getting four to five eggs per day up until this week. I cannot figure out why the egg production is so low. It rained this weekend so at first I thought it might be the weather. They have a fully enclosed, dry roosting area and nest boxes. Feed is the same, providing fresh water and crushed oyster shells, supplementing with meal worms. There are no hens sitting on eggs so broodiness is not the issue. I watched a video on YouTube that it could be that some of the chickens aren't getting the chance to roost at night and it's putting stress on the flock.
Can you think of anything as to why egg production has been maximum two eggs per day for the past week? Definitely darker later into the morning and earlier at night. Thanks!

I have six hens and one rooster, all were born this spring. I've been consistently getting four to five eggs per day up until this week. I cannot figure out why the egg production is so low. It rained this weekend so at first I thought it might be the weather. They have a fully enclosed, dry roosting area and nest boxes. Feed is the same, providing fresh water and crushed oyster shells, supplementing with meal worms. There are no hens sitting on eggs so broodiness is not the issue. I watched a video on YouTube that it could be that some of the chickens aren't getting the chance to roost at night and it's putting stress on the flock.
Can you think of anything as to why egg production has been maximum two eggs per day for the past week? Definitely darker later into the morning and earlier at night. Thanks!
Its definitely the daylight I assume. Chickens also tend to molt over fall and winter. As daylight hours go down, chickens produce less. I am starting to feel the impact of less production as well. Its almost time to deworm!

Its definitely the daylight I assume. Chickens also tend to molt over fall and winter. As daylight hours go down, chickens produce less. I am starting to feel the impact of less production as well. Its almost time to deworm!
Thanks! What does deworming entail? This is my first year with chickens. We've been spraying them monthly with a lice spray.

Thanks! What does deworming entail? This is my first year with chickens. We've been spraying them monthly with a lice spray.
Lice spray? What ingredients are in that?

Deworming is to get rid of parasites in the chickens. I do it once or twice a year. It all started when roundworms were getting out of control. Now I deworm ahead of time. I like to deworm them when they stop laying eggs, because there is an egg withdrawel period with certain dewormings.

Also, I highly recommend getting a chicken emergency kit. Being your first year owning chickens, I presume that you have not yet had any losses or diseases hit your flock. Its always good to be prepared. If you want, I could definitely help with the list.

Also, I highly recommend getting a chicken emergency kit. Being your first year owning chickens, I presume that you have not yet had any losses or diseases hit your flock. Its always good to be prepared. If you want, I could definitely help with the list.
Thanks! Is deworming a medication? And yes, a list for the emergency kit would be super helpful, thanks!

Definitely the reduction in light and the beginning of moulting season. If they're not moulting you can supplement light to improve production, however you shouldn't do it year round, give them a break in winter. If they are moulting there is nothing you can do to improve laying, but you can help them by supplementing protein to help them speed up growing new feathers and prevent issues like feather eating.

Thanks! Is deworming a medication? And yes, a list for the emergency kit would be super helpful, thanks!
Yes, its a medication. Some people claim that Diatomaceous Earth, herbs, or other natural products deworm chickens, but I could tell you that it did not work for me. Its a myth!

The list is from most important to least important.

1.) Liquid Corid (This is for the treatment of coccidiosis)
2.) Vetericyn, neosporin with NO pain killer, and or honey (Vetericyn and ORIGINAL neosporin are both for wound care. Vetericyn is more of an antibacterial spray. ORIGINAL neosporin is more of an antibacterial cream. Honey is optional here, it helps wound recover, but is not as great on large wounds, only for small scrapes, its also bad because it attracts flies).
3.) Valbezen, Safeguard, etc. (Safeguard and Valbezen are both chicken dewormers. They may say "for goats, sheep, cattle," but they are used for chickens off label).
4.) Vaseline/petroleum jelly (Treatment for scaly leg mites)
5.) Tweezers (for picking off maggots from a bird with flystrike).
6.) Monistat 7 (This is an anti fungal treatment for sour crop).
7.) Coconut oil (For cooking for chickens and for impacted crop).
8.) Dog crate and dog pads (This is for separating sick birds).
9.) Extra syringes (To give medications orally with).
10.) Rooster booster, save-a-chick electrolytes, etc. (Immune booster/supplement).
11.) Towels, blow dryer, scissors, etc. (For washing birds).

Definitely the reduction in light and the beginning of moulting season. If they're not moulting you can supplement light to improve production, however you shouldn't do it year round, give them a break in winter. If they are moulting there is nothing you can do to improve laying, but you can help them by supplementing protein to help them speed up growing new feathers and prevent issues like feather eating.
Thank you! How would I tell they are molting? Losing a lot of feathers?

Back
Top Bottom