Hens escaping yard - 4' fence - help,x

FlippyHippy

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Our hens easily clear our 4' fence, and keep getting into the neighbors yards or our front yard. We rent so putting in a higher fence isn't an option.

Any ideas that aren't obnoxious to our neighbors?

There is, of course, wing clipping. But to explore further,

What breeds do you have?

Any of my little flock *can* clear the 48" poultry netting if startled but only the California White can routinely choose to fly out (and back in), when she pleases.

Do you have enough inside the run for the chickens to do? Things to sit on, things to hide under, places to dig, etc?

What does the neighbor's yard have that your pen lacks that is attracting them?

Photos of your setup would be helpful?

I use deer netting over my 6' pens to keep out Raptors, but will keep pullets in.
20190529_092900.jpg

I got it at my local TSC a couple of years ago for around $10.00.
20200724_154938_resized.jpg

GC

Attachments

• 20200724_154938_resized.jpg
    20200724_154938_resized.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 0
Our hens easily clear our 4' fence, and keep getting into the neighbors yards or our front yard. We rent so putting in a higher fence isn't an option.

Any ideas that aren't obnoxious to our neighbors?
You can certainly put up a higher fence, renting or not. You can get chicken wire that comes in at least 5 foot high rolls. Use the pound in metal garden stakes or attach wooden stakes to the existing fence. Run the chicken wire along the existing fens but raise it up off the ground to make the barrier higher. You can easily make the fence for them another 3 feet higher or better. You also need to trim back the feathers on one wing so they can not get any altitude. There are plenty of videos online to see how it is done. It's painless and not even permanent. Hopefully, by the time the feathers grow back, they will have forgotten about trying to go over fences.

There is, of course, wing clipping. But to explore further,

What breeds do you have?

Any of my little flock *can* clear the 48" poultry netting if startled but only the California White can routinely choose to fly out (and back in), when she pleases.

Do you have enough inside the run for the chickens to do? Things to sit on, things to hide under, places to dig, etc?

What does the neighbor's yard have that your pen lacks that is attracting them?

Photos of your setup would be helpful?
I want

Thanks for the feedback. We share fences with our neighbors, so we can't put chicken wire up higher than the 4' fence unfortunately.

And our run is fully secure, fully predator proof. They're free range in the yard when they're escaping.

Back
Top Bottom