Hens eye swollen. Please help!

Kmhanks3

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2019
99FE5EAC-5D8E-451B-B9D9-2D443C39FDF5.jpeg
79884577-E488-43F8-980E-63CC92A06C85.jpeg
9BDF8A5F-1185-4C57-B522-FEA0D19D089E.jpeg
I’m new to this site and to raising chickens in general. A few months back I saved quite a few chickens/roosters from a chicken factory, and am currently battling a number of health issues with them. Most things I’ve found info on and been able to cure, but I just found one of my hens has a swollen eye under the side her comb falls on so it was hard to see at first. It looks almost like a clogged tear duct or something, huge bubble right under her bottom eyelid, filled with what looks like just clear liquid. I’ve been using eye wash, tried terramyacin and even tried draining it, but within a day it filled back up. She’s eating and drinking just fine, it doesn’t seem to bother her too much and I don’t think it’s contagious because she’s been around all the others and is the only one with anything like it. Any help or suggestions would be helpful!

I'm reading up on it and it could be an infection. Bring her to an an animal clinic to get checked out, for sure and they'll start her on some antibiotics.

I just found one of my hens has a swollen eye under the side her comb falls on so it was hard to see at first. It looks almost like a clogged tear duct or something, huge bubble right under her bottom eyelid, filled with what looks like just clear liquid. I’ve been using eye wash, tried terramyacin and even tried draining it, but within a day it filled back up.
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.
It's likely eye infection. It sounds like you are treating it o.k. with the flushing and application of Terramycin, but there may also be pus in there that needs to be pressed out.

You also mention that her comb falls over the eye - can you get a photo of how much the comb covers the eye? This may be what's prohibiting healing as well, the comb rubbing the eye, attracting (trapping) moisture and/or re-introducing bacteria. Dubbing the comb where it's no longer covering the eye may be beneficial in this case.

The cause of the infection would be hard to know, but respiratory disease is something that comes to mind. You may need antibiotics to help clear it up in addition to removing pus/debris daily along with flushing/applying ointment 2-3 times a day.
I would also wash her head really well, removing any dirt/debris that may be falling down into the eye too. (Use saline for that as well)

Tylan50 can be used. It seems hard to find right now so you may need to order it online as Tylosin powder. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Back
Top Bottom