Hen's feathers are ratty looking, help!

YelleBean

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
I have a 3 year old cinnamon queen who has always been a healthy girl. I noticed lately that her feathers just don't look as healthy and they aren't due to our rooster or a molt, as she isn't necessarily losing feathers, they just look "ratty" is the best way I can explain it. Her tail feathers aren't as full and almost like the shafts are all there, but they aren't full at the ends and they feel sort of hard if that makes sense. It's HOT here in Texas. I noticed she had some runny poo as well, but they're drinking an awful lot of water so I chalked it up to that. I cleaned her up, but while doing so, I found bumble foot, which I cleaned up and took care of and have her bandaged. Could the bumble foot have caused this? I haven't seen any creepy crawlers on her, but I can of course check again. Any ideas?! I'd love to get her back to her beautiful self! More importantly, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have a 3 year old cinnamon queen who has always been a healthy girl. I noticed lately that her feathers just don't look as healthy and they aren't due to our rooster or a molt, as she isn't necessarily losing feathers, they just look "ratty" is the best way I can explain it. Her tail feathers aren't as full and almost like the shafts are all there, but they aren't full at the ends and they feel sort of hard if that makes sense. It's HOT here in Texas. I noticed she had some runny poo as well, but they're drinking an awful lot of water so I chalked it up to that. I cleaned her up, but while doing so, I found bumble foot, which I cleaned up and took care of and have her bandaged. Could the bumble foot have caused this? I haven't seen any creepy crawlers on her, but I can of course check again. Any ideas?! I'd love to get her back to her beautiful self! More importantly, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Check her over really well for mites and lice, vent, under wings, around head and neck

Check her over really well for mites and lice, vent, under wings, around head and neck
I checked her over really well and she does have some powdery almost looking build up under the vent area at the feather shaft, but I couldn't see any actual bugs crawling. I'm noticing some floppy combs in some of my other chickens now as well.

Does the powdery buildup look like lice eggs in this link?
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Do you have a picture of her? Could she be molting? My chickens seem to start molting around the tails first, then the neck and chest.
I'll see about a photo. I'm less worried about her now and more so about one of my others that I just noticed with a droopy comb and just overall lethargic. No issues around the vent, feather etc., but has runny poop.

If you suspect lice, permethrin garden dust can be used in a sock (like a powder puff,) or the horse spray can also be used in warm weather once and again in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom