Hens Feet are Falling Off

Not trying to be morbid, but maybe you could post a picture of her in her current condition. I am so suprised at the number of people who have replied with similar situations....

I think it's not only a matter of whether the animal is feeling pain or not, but whether you as an owner have the resources to care for a handicapped bird. Trust me, that is a HUGE consideration, not only about money but about time and ability. I have a handicapped rooster who had permanent tendon damage in one leg, which rendered it unusable. He can hop around on one leg, using his wings like crutches, but has to be taken outside, brought back in, is helpless when he's on the ground and cannot be with the flock, as some of the hens as well as his brother would probably kill him. We have to pay attention to him getting enough grit since he can't get it for himself, keeping his spurs and his toenails, as well as his beak, trimmed since he doesn't scratch around anymore and he cannot dustbathe, either, so we must be sure he's dusted regularly. That is alot of work on a daily basis to do things for him that he can't do for himself.

After Zane was injured, he developed soft tissue infections in his hock and we tried and tried to knock them out. He almost died. If I had it to do over again, would I? NO. If I had it happen to another bird, would I try to save it? NO. Does Zane have a great quality of life?
hu.gif
I am not in his skin, so can't really answer that well. His color is good, his appetite it good, and he does crow at least once daily, so he seems fairly content, but we must do things to keep him from becoming depressed. He is happiest when he can be outside on the ground, but he is simply hawk-bait out there and we must watch him closely. And in winter, it's nearly impossible to get him outside more than once every two weeks. I have 39+ other birds to attend to on a daily basis and he is alot of extra work and concern, but we do love him and after trying so long to get his leg working again, could not cull him. So, let's not be too judgemental when someone says to cull an injured/handicapped bird, please. I've been on both sides of the fence so can speak from experience. I don't think you can imagine what caring for a handicapped bird is like until you've been in my shoes. Again, if I had another situation like this, where a bird needed so very much extra care, I would not try to save the bird.

I, too, want to say that I realize this is very upsetting to you and that it's not always so clear what to do. There are so many things we will encounter the longer we keep chickens, not all so pleasant. Best of luck with your decision.

My uncle has a duck that got his foot bitten off by a turtle. He also can't fly because he's a really fat muscovy drake. He moves by flapping his wings to get a little lift and moves about a foot at a time. It's really funny to watch, yet sad at the same time. Once it heals up the other chickens shouldn't realize that she has one foot. She just needs to learn how walk correctly again. She will hopefully be fine.

well if I was going to try and save her I would clean and remove the damaged parts that are going to fall off. then I would clean both feet well, use neosporin and wrap them well with gause and then vet wrap. this should keep her feelt clean and if done daily the healing process would be much quicker. then once healed I would manufacture some fake little feet for her out of plastic and then use gauze and vet wrap to secure them on. heck if you used the same color plastic and vetwrap as her legs the other hens might not even notice her feet at all.

I would love to see a pic! As an EMT, I have a twisted curiosity for the morbid. OP, only you can decide what is best for the hen. I used to be a vet's assistant, and it really bugged me when people were willing to go to all lenghts to extend the life of an animal in misery. On the other hand, I have a Serama hen going through the same thing as yours. I keep her bandaged, clean, comfortable, and on antibiotics. When her toes are gone, I plan on fitting her feet with caps, like the kind that comes on the end of brooms and stools, only smaller. My committment has been really expensive, around $150 so far! But although I look foreward to golden eggs when she starts laying again, I will not hesitate to cull her if she looks miserable day in and day out (hesitate a little maybe).
hugs.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=288756

I have a rooster who was found wandering outside when it was about -40C. When they brought him to me the feet were completely frozen. I brought him inside and made him as comfortable as I could. Although his feet were badly damaged he continued to eat and drink normally. Eventually they started to fall off. His bedding consisted of the small animal bedding which is used for hamsters. I chose it because it is soft and super absorbant. I continued to watch him every day but I let the feet come off by themselves, although I watched for infection which he was lucky not to get. Three years later and Jake is doing fine. I keep him away from the other roosters but he still loves the ladies and has become somewhat of a local celebrity. I hope this helps with your decision. Lou

Back
Top Bottom