Hens flying over gate

My 4 of my 9 chickens are flying over the gate and I can't figure out how to stop them. They have access to 1+ acre of free range land. The only breed to do it are the easter egger (i believe they're actually cream legbars). I thought putting the mesh fence above the gate making it uneven to perch on would prevent this but it didn't. Any suggestions?

View attachment 2854641
Maybe extend the fence/gate to make it taller? I had to do that for my goats. I got some taller 2x2s and attached them to the gate with metal clamps and put welded wire between them. My 5 ft gate is now a 6.5 ft gate. You might be able to do the same with less sturdy stuff - like the bird netting you have there.
This is what I have done with my gate as you can see it is as high as the fencing and have no trouble with my birds trying to land on it or fly over my fence or gate. here is a pic so you can see what we are talking about. Gate is still fully functionable. I used 2x4 welded wire and didn't have to support it at all its been used like this for 6 years now.
IMG_0047.jpg

Last edited:
well i think my problem solved itself today. i caught a hawk swoop down and try to get one. fortunately it didn't get anyone but i will be putting up bird netting in the area near the gate. most of the yard has tree cover but they couldn't get to it from the gate area (they were huddled up next to the fence). i'll also be putting up some lean to's scattered in the areas of the yard with less tree cover. currently the (very unhappy) ladies are closed up in their pen for the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom