hens getting raked

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimz1, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    How do I stop my roosters from raking my hens? Some of the girls don't have any feathers on their backs at all.
    I'm afraid if I don't do anything, they will start to get all raw and bloody.
    Somebody please help!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Unfortunately this is a common problem, and that is why a lot of people get chicken saddles. Here is a link that has instructions for making them: http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/make-a-chicken-saddle/

You can also buy them.

The other option is to separate some or all of the roosters from the hens.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    How old are your roosters? Young cockerels always remind me of a kid with a new toy. They'll play and play and play with their new "toy" but eventually the novelty wears off and they don't want to play with it as much anymore. Another question, how many roosters and hens do you have? Is it possible your roo to hen ratio is off? Just a few more things to think about while you're figuring out what to do about the situation. Good luck....

4. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I know I have too many roos for hens. I have 3 roos and 11 hens. They all will be 1 year old at the end of the month. The chicken saddle sounds like a good idea but wouldn't it be defeating the purpose? Isn't a saddle meant for riding?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In this case, the saddle is simply a covering for the hen's back. Humans relate saddles to riding. The roosters don't reason that way. If you know you have too many roosters to hens and your hens are getting injured, I think you also know what you need to do. Separate or get rid of at least two of your roosters. Even if you get the saddles, your hens will be stressed by the over-mating if you keep them all together.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Hilarious.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    As far as the number of roos.......I have had as many as 18 hens to one roo & there were still hens that had bare backs. It really didn't bother the hens and I left them go. They never got "bloody", just lost their feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by