Hens getting ready to lay ??

arnr1530

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 28, 2013
North Carolina
I have 5 hens 2 RIR and 3 brahmas they are all 18 wks old this wk and they have been acting a little weird! I am still new to the chicken game so I am hoping for some input or advise!
Currently they have a big nesting box and a smaller one they all seem to pick one and just huddle in it together when it's time for bed lol ...... And one of my RIR all day long she will go in the coop and mess with the str in the boxes same goes for my smallest brahma but then they leave it and have no interest.... So I was curious what I should look out for that will give me a hint that they are gonna lay soon or getting ready to ?
Thank you all comments ae appreciated!

When they are soon to lay you will know because when you approach them they will squat way down to the ground .you won't be able to miss this behavior. It means they are sexually mature and are submitting to you as if you were a rooster. When they start squatting eggs soon will follow! I have a 6 month old that just started squatting
I now it won't be long for her eggs. They continue the squatting through out there life. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom