Hens got in something sticky

mbrock

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
Sw Fla
my girls got in something sticky. Not sure what to do. One looks like she got sticky and took a dust bath and the has some outer fresher that are sticky. They both went in and rooster for the night. Any suggestions to take care of them in the morning, or will they pernie them selves.

You can take them inside, and using warm (not hot, not too cool) water and regular blue Dawn soap, bathe them. Draw warm bath water to about 6-8", taking care not to make it too hot. If you have a sprayer, use it. Soak them well, then lather with the Dawn, let sit for a minute or so, then rinse really well. Be careful not to get soap OR water in their eyes or nose. Be sure to support them so they don't fall asleep and drown. Idk whether other breeds also do that, but Silkies will go to sleep in warm water. When I first got my 1yo & 2yo Partridge Silkies a month or so ago, the 1yo had poop butt big time, so I had to bathe her. I had to hold her with my left hand, so that her head and neck would rest on my arm, because she kept dozing off, then she seemed to just pass out...lol Wrap Them in a towel for a little bit, then continue to pat dry (not rub). If you have a hair dryer, try it out; my Silkie didn't mind it at all. Keep it on low heat, and hold it away from them (arm's length is good). Use your fingers to gently move their feathers around so that it'll help them set better. If it's hot outside, they should be ok to go out; its a good idea to put three somewhere where they won't get in the dirt before they're fully dry. Regular blue Dawn can cut crude oil, and and just about anything else...lol

Last edited:
They loved their bath and blow dry. I'll have to post some pics. Everything worked well and if you have the same type issues I would do it sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom