1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens have shut down... ]:o(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinachicken, Nov 23, 2008.

1. carolinachicken

carolinachicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2007
    Lancaster, SC
    Hey All...

I've got 4 Hens who were laying quite regularly, but now, have slowed down to none for the past Month.

Got any input on this?

Thankx,

Bob

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just posted the same question!! How funny. When I know you will too. [​IMG]

3. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    hey it is the sudden change of weather that has happened down here . you know the extra cold and snow brr-r i still get 1 egg a day from 4 hens tho. [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Its moulting season, they stop laying when they moult.

Also depends on the breeds you have, some stop laying for the winter.

5. carolinachicken

Apr 20, 2007
    Lancaster, SC
    LOL!!! ok... If you get the answer first... tell me.

Bob

6. carolinachicken

Apr 20, 2007
    Lancaster, SC
    Ok... Thankx...

Signed Hungry [​IMG]

7. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

It doesn't have to do with snow/cold. It has to do with daylight hours. Put your lights on a timer- and give them 16 hours of "daylight" Any of you that have ever regulated mares (keeping them cycling through the winter) have done the same thing. [​IMG]

8. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Quote:I agree. I put the coop light on a timer to give them 6 more hours of light after dusk, and egg production has picked right back up. The timer is a pretty inexpensive purchase and yet it makes a big difference. [​IMG]

9. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I have mine turn on 5 hours prior to daylight to avoid plunging them into sudden total darkness.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree that it's the decrease in daylight hours and like rooster-red said, some hens could be moulting.
    Adding artifical light can bring your production back up, but there are some very good reasons why it's not the best thing for your chickens to force them to lay when mother nature is telling them it's time for a break.
    You should use the search feature here on BYC to research the issue first. That way if you do decide to add light, at least you know the pros and cons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by